For millions of Americans, Better Speech and Hearing Month has increased awareness of the importance of hearing, how to protect it, and how to improve it. Every May for the past 75 years, audiologists are tasked with advocacy and education. This is our time to get the word out!
This month aims to raise awareness about hearing problems and promote treatment for those suffering from hearing impairments. Public knowledge can lead to early diagnosis, better referrals or even prevention. Current auditory research initiatives are advancing the ability to assist auditory performance in everyday environments, maximize the function of advanced hearing protection and devices, and promote hearing health support.
Studies are also being conducted to identify early indicators of hearing loss, so that measures to prevent hearing loss and tinnitus can be implemented early. Most hearing protection, if worn properly during noise-hazardous conditions, is effective in preventing hearing loss.
Better Hearing Month reminds us to:
- Wear hearing protect when around loud noise including music, motorcycles, lawn mowers, and power tools.
- Don't put anything in your ear.
- Get prompt treatment for ear infections.
- Schedule regular hearing screenings after 55.
- Try to keep calm. If you become anxious or flustered, it will be harder for you to follow what's being said.
- If you don't catch what someone says the first time, don't be afraid to ask them to repeat it or say it in a different way.
- Don't be too hard on yourself.
- No one hears correctly all the time.
To schedule your next hearing exam, contact us today at 303-857-5344. Parker & Castle Rock Centers for Audiology can advise you on the best options for how to protect and how to improve your hearing health.